Thursday, November 1, 2012

Easy Sausage & Tortellini Soup

This is one of those "almost" homemade recipes.  It was emailed to me a couple of years ago (I printed it on January 6, 2010...  apparently I like to collect new recipes more than actually try them) when I signed up to receive a recipe-a-day via email.  It's from BetterRecipes.com.

Ingredients:
5 links sweet Italian sausage
1 can (10.5 oz) condense French Onion Soup
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, Italian style
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 9-oz package fresh three-cheese tortellini **
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Remove casings from sausage links.  Cut up meat, then brown in a 4-quart Dutch oven.  Drain fat.  Add all remaining ingredient, except cheese.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Spoon into bowl & sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4-6

** Notes from the Cook:  You can substitute an 8-oz box of dried cheese tortellini or 1 1/2 cups of frozen.  This soup is wonderful served with fresh salad and warm garlic bread.



Review:
I knew better than to try the cabbage with my kids, so I omitted it.  Honestly, I thought it sounded pretty gross myself.  So I added more pasta (I used 2 generous cups of frozen) instead, and this makes for a hearty, filling meal.  Perfect for this time of year.  I paired it with Pillsbury Crescent Rounds, brushed melted butter and sprinkled garlic on top before baking.  Delish!!  I was so excited about how this turned out I shared it with my folks.  My expectations were high... I honestly used the sweet Italian sausage, but my mom said her mouth was "on fire".  Her tongue is a bit biased and has been known to exaggerate how spicy things are.  I think she could find a single speck of pepper in anything!   My dad shrugged, "Eh, it was okay".  I can read between the lines... that's code for "not my favorite thing you've ever cooked".  

Kid Review:
O: I ate all the pasta... but my tongue is rejecting the meat and red things (ie. tomatoes).
E:  Can I have more bread to dip, please?  Nothing else tastes that, um... as good as the bread. 

**sigh** 

I ate this soup two days in a row, and went back for seconds BOTH DAYS! I am looking forward to making it again, even IF I'm the only one who will eat it.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment