Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Modge Podge - 101

So what do you with old artwork that is so sad it's begging to be retired??? When it's Christmas, you cover it in wrapping paper and ribbon and hang it back up on the wall. But when February rolls around and the wrapping paper 'artwork' begins to mock you, it's time for a craft project: adult style! This isn't your elementary school Modge Podge lesson - but it IS just as simple. I promise!
BEFORE: OLD ARTWORK


SUPPLIES:  PAINT, SPONGE BRUSH, SCRAPBOOK PAPER, RULER, PAPER CUTTER, and MODGE PODGE

I chose the outdoor paint because it says it is 'water resistant'. My art will be hanging in my dining room, thus immune to the outside elements, however I wasn't sure how the regular non-water resistant paint would hold up against the Modge Podge application, so I wanted to safe. It needs to dry for 72 hours.



During this time I designed the way I wanted my papers to lay on the boards and chose my bible verse and printed it out. The paint was truly dry to the touch even though the required time hadn't fully passed yet, so I was able to lay everything out flat on the boards and move it around until I was satisfied with my design.

For those who haven't used Modge Podge before, it's very similar to glue, just a bit more watered down.  It comes in a variety of finishes - glossy, matte, or  if you're feeling particulary bold, you can choose one with glitter sprinkled in.  I poured out my Modge Podge into a throw-away take out container and a simple painters/crafters sponge-on-a-stick worked great for application.  It washes out with soap and water, too!  (This excites me the most because I am a messy crafter and cook.  The bigger mess I make, the better my project (food) turns out.  I've proven it to be a scientific fact.) 



Brush on your Modge Podge pretty thick, and this is key - BOTH SIDES!!  But not to the point of weighing your paper down too heavily.  You should "SEE" it on your project.  Smooth out all air bubbles.  Wait for it to dry.  Apply more Modge Podge on top.  Dry and repeat.  I was able to make three applications in one evening between folding loads of laundry. 

The next day it was hung and ready to be admired!  I LOVE IT!  For a couple of bucks I revived some tired, old artwork!

AFTER: NEW ARTWORK



3 comments:

  1. Very nice, great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! So cool! I was thinking of doing something similar...now I'm inspired:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Great tutorial...I'm lovin' your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete