Thursday, March 15, 2012

Practicing

Since I'm so new to this blog-o-sphere thing, I thought I would try to post a photo AND a link.  I know, right?!   You're thinking, "Wow, she IS ambitious!"  (Okay, if you're not really thinking that, please don't disappoint me.  I can be sensitive).  

Here goes... 

This photo is a year old now - that seems hard to believe.  But it is.  I promise there will be more current ones in the future.  This is our first "family" photo since Donn's home-going.  If I didn't "need" to have a photo of the kids and I taken for our church directory I probably still would not have had a family photo done.  It's painful to see this - someone is missing.  It still feels that way.   I imagine it will always feel that way because we DO miss him.  Dreadfully.  (And a rabbit trail here... I really LOATHE when people tell me we "lost" him in lieu of saying he "died, passed, etc" - as if he's been misplaced like a common garden tool - and personally, I prefer "promotion", but that's another post...  I don't want to hear the word "lost" in reference to his death because he is NOT lost.  We KNOW where he is - he's in the presence of the full glory of our heavenly Father and in better health and spirits than we can even fathom.  He is far from "lost". )   Back to the current topic at hand...  here is the first attempt at posting a photo to a blog.  MY blog.  How crazy is that?!?! 


WHOA!  SUCCESS!!!  

Now, a link.  This is a link to one of Donn's favorite songs.  "Changed" by Phil Joel.   My favorite part of the song is near the end (complete lyrics here) that read as follows: 

You have changed the way I see everything
You have changed the way I wear my wedding ring
You have changed the way I treat my family
You have changed the way I see all my friends
You have changed the way that I spend my time
You have changed the way that I use my mind
You have changed the things that I spend my money on
You have changed everything I ever thought was mine
You have changed my emotions
You have steadied me
You have changed my eyes and what I let them see
You have changed the course of my history
Thank God You're still changing me! 

I love these lyrics because they truly represent my late husband's faith - changing and growing.  I have a vivid memory of him learning the chords on his guitar and singing the lyrics, but then he stopped playing and held out his left hand to show me his wedding band while he sang "wear my wedding ring" and pointed to our children and I while singing "treat my family"...  he was devoted to us with his whole heart (as we were to him).  I hadn't heard this song in a while and as I was tucking Evie into bed tonight this song was playing on her bedtime CD of choice (naturally, a mix Daddy made for her).  I am so thankful for the memories this song brought to mind - and to heart - tonight.  Thank you, Lord, for sweet memories and blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your incredible blog. Thank you for taking the time to begin your story. I will look forward to hearing more...

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song. I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I love that you call his death a promotion. That's so right! I bet he's singing with the angels! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete