Monday, April 16, 2012

Our God

This song is one of my favorites.  We sang it at our church on Sunday - and it was such a surreal moment as a parent for me.

Our God - Chris Tomlin

It's not been very long since my beloved was called home.  And yet, in many ways, it feels like a million years.  Seconds seem so long - so excruciating some days.  We have been incredibly blessed this past year (and a few months) - God has been so very REAL to us - our ever sufficient provider, protector, healer, comforter.  However, if I'm truly honest, there is a gaping hole that is not filled.  I wonder how that will ever be filled this side of Heaven.  One of my children especially struggles right now (it's very much an up-and-down, cyclical process, this thing called 'grief').   And while singing this song, I was able to sit down next to my child, put my arms around my child, and whisper in my child's ear the very real truth of this song...

And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
What could stand against. 


It was remarkable to have my child look into my eyes, both of ours glistening with tears, having separate but shared pain.  My child for the missing of a father... me for the missing of a spouse.   To have a sense of peace that comes to us through the truth of music is a God-given gift.  A tangible gift that cannot be seen, but it is very real. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say except I love you, and thank you for sharing, friend. And praise God for the sweet mercy He grants in even the biggest trials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a Remarkable parent and follower of Christ can provide what you are providing for your children. You are being an image of what God is to us. God will surely equip you as travel the journey He has set you upon. He is giving you strength and grace to handle each of these situation. I am proud to know you Stephanie...
    Del

    ReplyDelete